6.4 evaluate how successfully you achieved your intentions
Suitability for Intended Target Audience:
The intended target audiences for my documentary are teenage females aged between 16-19 who are into fashion and are fashion conscious. There are many ways in which my documentary would appeal to teenage females one of which would be the mode of address as its informal this is evident as the pace of the documentary is quick and the voice over is enthusiastic and engaging. The cutaways are fast paced and relevant however, the opening title sequence could have been improved if I had more time to make it appealing and professional as currently the simple font and dull colour is boring. Another appealing aspect of my documentary is the focus group as the actors used are teenage females of mixed ethnicity.
This would make the target audience more able to reflect themselves in the situation regardless of their colour. Because the sound quality was not great it was not possible to have dialogue, this has an impact, as teenagers would want to hear what was going on. The feedback I had received from the audience also said that the sound levels of the focus group are of poor quality and therefore I had to remove it. The music used in the documentary relates very well with not only the target audience but also the subject. I had chosen to use Lady Gaga Fashion as its current and fits hand in hand with what I am trying to achieve. Its fast paced and when watching, the music also plays a strong impact on hooking people and making then want to watch. There are no downsides to the music and from the feedback given, people had said that it was a great choice because it’s current and relevant. It also reinforces the message and subject of my documentary. The archive footage of made in Chelsea is appealing because television programmes inspire many young females. This would encourage them to want to make a difference themselves. However the quality of the footage is not great and so it can be difficult to see. In the documentary the shots are of the website this allows the viewer to see what I am talking about in the voice over. This is important, as it would demonstrate what they themselves would have to do.

Technical Qualities
In my documentary the lighting in most of the shots are of good quality, when filming in the shopping centre the artificial lighting was an extra bonus and as well as the natural. This made the documentary look a lot more professional as the quality of the footage is high. A weakness is that the lighting in some of the shots I.e. the focus group has good lighting however the sunlight is very strong and so there are shadows making it difficult to see things in some of the footage. The audience feedback I received is that the lighting was of good quality as the footage looked professional and clear. When going to film the first focus in café Nero the location was badly lit and so it was difficult to see what was being filmed. When filming the microphone was also in shot and so it didn’t look as professional as it could have. On the cannon camera the footage seemed to have been at a reasonable quality however, when loading it onto the Mac the footage became very pixilated and difficult to see the overall footage then became pointless to use as it was of bad quality and so I had to reshoot the footage.
The framing in the cutaways of the shop signs are well positioned and the use of panning for the cutaway at the swishing event made the overall look of the documentary more professional as the footage had a smooth glide to it. However at times the interview is not very well shot this can be seen as Rachel's is on the wrong side of the screen. The wire framing on final cut allowed me to improve this as I was able to stretch out the shot. When presenting my documentary to the rest of the class the response I received was that they found what she was saying relevant and good however the quality of the footage looked a little pixilated, this effected the quality of the clip and would have looked much better if id managed my time better.
The non-digetic voice over in the documentary is enthusiastic and engaging this encourages more views, as people would be intrigued to wanting to see what the documentary is about. At the introduction the quality of the sound was high and so hooked people. This is effective as it makes people want to watch to see what the documentary is about. At times the sound quality of the voice over is not great this is due to interferences when recording, as it was difficult to find a quite space. The quality therefore in some of the voice over is affected due to volume levels. From the introduction to the archive footage the voiceover changes dramatically as the sound levels go down and it becomes harder to hear what is being talked about. The audience research proved that my voiceovers where effective as they wanted to watch on as it was engaging however they found that at times it the sound levels go up and down and this gives them a negative impact. And effects the professional quality look.
The editing process of my documentary allowed me to ensure link my clips together the overall
Aesthetics
The choice of location and Mise en scene was important for the overall aesthetic quality of my work. The location shooting for the focus group fitted perfectly with the topic and target audience this is as it’s a fashion/café shop. This relates with the topic, as there are clothes in the café also made the shot look attractive. However because it was a small space it was difficult to get a full establishing shot. On the day of filming this shot the weather worked to be an advantage as it was sunny and so I didn’t have an issue with the lighting. In my audience feedback the response I received was that the location of the shot was great as it links well with the documentary as well as the target audience. Another location that worked in my favor is Southside shopping centre as all of the shops I required were under one roof. This made it easy for me to shoot as it illustrated the message of my documentary. The lighting and all other aspects including passers by were all the result to well shot cutaways.
The title I have used to introduce my documentary is very basic and bland however it’s clear and easy to read. The title give the first impression of what people think of the documentary and so if I had more time to improve this aspect I would have made it a lot more attractive. My audience feedback also found the tiles I used very unattractive and boring. If I were to improve this next time I would ensure that I use after effects to create a more vibrant and catchy title that fits well with my target audience. I would use bright colors and make the text 3D










No comments:
Post a Comment